commons-user mailing list archives

From "Igor Marakov" <igor...@ivmsystems.com>
Subject RE: Betwixt Tutorial Problem
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:15:26 GMT
Make sure your .betwixt files are :
In the same directory as their java source
Have same name as their java source
End up in same directory as their java .class after compilation

These are the simplest things I ran into :)

Also I never looked at the example but kinda doubt Channel should be
registered to "info" tag.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Marendo [mailto:jmarendo@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 1:33 PM
To: commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Betwixt Tutorial Problem

I've downloaded Betwixt 0.7 and cannot seem to get the RSSApplication  to
run correctly.  I created two files (channel.betwixt and  image.betwixt)
that contains the respective content from the tutorial,  and I supply the
channel.betwixt file as input when running the  application.  Perhaps this
is where I'm going wrong.

  In any case, what happens is that I get a NullPointerException when the
channel.getTitle() piece is executed in the plainTextSummary(Channel
channel) method.  This happens b/c the statement:

  Channel channel = (Channel) reader.parse(file);

  results in a null value being returned.

  I modified the code so that the Channel class is registered like so:

  reader.registerBeanClass("info", Channel.class);

  After I did that, I no longer get a NPE.  Instead I get a Channel
instance that appears to have nothing but default values.  That  is, the
contents from the XML file (channel.betwixt) are not used to  initialize the
instance as I would expect.  Here is the output for  that scenario:

  Feb 15, 2006 11:53:51 AM org.apache.commons.betwixt.expression.Context
popOptions
  INFO: Cannot pop options off empty stack
  Feb 15, 2006 11:53:51 AM org.apache.commons.betwixt.expression.Context
popOptions
  INFO: Cannot pop options off empty stack
  channel: null
  url: null
  copyright: Public Domain

  I'm probably missing something simple.  Please reply and help me get on
the right track!  Thanks.

  Jeff

  p.s. It's worth noting that I ran the WriteExampleApp and  ReadExampleApp
(both using the PersonBean class that is provided in the  Examples section)
without a problem (except for the INFO messages,  which still appear).
However, the XML used for that example seems  simpler than that used in the
tutorial.