commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <heg...@med.uni-marburg.de>
Subject Re: [Configuration] Wish list
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:09:03 GMT
Hi,

these are some good points. I plan some enhancements for
ConfigurationFactory and related classes and will take this into
account. Further comments below.

Borut Bolčina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using Commons Configuration successfully in several projects.
> Besides XPath support I have 3 more feature wishes:
>
> *[1] Getting Properties out of Configuration*
> When using already written software components, some methods take
> Properties as input parameter. If using CompositeConfiguration as a
> central point for accesing properties, it would be desirable to get
> Properties out of PropertiesConfiguration which is part of
> CompositeConfiguration. Example of wanted functionality:
>
> Configuration propertiesConfiguration = config.getConfiguration(2);
> Properties properties = propertiesConfiguration.getProperties();
>
> Asume 3rd entry in configuration.xml is <properties>.
This one has been answered by Jörg.

> *[2] Inclusion of DatabaseConfiguration in configuration.xml*
> It woould be nice to introduce something like <database> tag in
> configuration.xml. The content of the tag would be connection string for
> the database. Example:

> <configuration>
>  <xml fileName="prop1.xml"/>
>  <xml fileName="prop2.xml"/>
>  <properties fileName="prop3.properties"/>
>  <database
> connect="jdbc:mysql://delovc10.noviforum.si/feeds?user=foo&password=bar"/>
> </configuration>
Of course, DatabaseConfiguration should be supported. In addition I
would like to have a mechanism for defining custom tags and including
user defined configuration classes.

> *[3] Getting configurations out of configuration.xml could be done by
> name and not by index.*
> So, instead of
> config.getConfiguration(2)
> one could write
> config.getConfiguration("entryThree");
>
> A new attribute for each entry should be introduced, something like:
> <configuration>
>  <xml id="entryOne" fileName="prop1.xml"/>
>  <xml id="entryTwo" fileName="prop2.xml"/>
>  <properties id="entryThree" fileName="prop3.properties"/>
>  <database id="entryFour"
> connect="jdbc:mysql://delovc10.noviforum.si/feeds?user=foo&password=bar"/>
> </configuration>

This is a feature I have missed myself. Using the subset() method you
can access specific sets of properties, but sometimes you really need
access to the Configuration object, e.g. for changing some settings. I
will implement this.

Oliver