commons-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Petitpierre <Dominique.Petitpie...@adm.unige.ch>
Subject Re: [jsvc] jsvc does not use the server JVM
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 01:30:28 GMT
Hello,

Thanks for your comments:

On 12.01.2006 22:23, Russell Simpkins wrote:
>> jsvc does not use the server JVM with java 1.5 on a server-class
>> machine.
>
> i've not used jsvc, so don't flame me if i'm off.
>
> double check what params you used when building jsvc. According to the
> readme, you can configure with   ./configure --with-java=/usr/java where
> /usr/java is the location of your jvm.

That is how jsvc was compiled. And I doubled check before posting:
the java version specified for compiling is the the same as
the java version used when running jsvc: 1.5.0_04-b05

> I think maybe it's picking up a
> jvm that does not support the -server argument, which would make sense.

In the annexe of my message, you can see in the debug output of jsvc
that it knows it should use the server JVM:

| JVM Name:        "server"

and that it does find the server and the client JVMs:

| Java VM Config.: "/usr/local/java/jre/lib/sparc/jvm.cfg"
| Found JVMs:      2
| JVM Name:        "client"
|                  "/usr/local/java/jre/lib/sparc/client/libjvm.so"
| JVM Name:        "server"
|                  "/usr/local/java/jre/lib/sparc/server/libjvm.so"

> you may have better luck posting to the tomcat mailing lists.

I don't see how the application (in this case jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9)
could affect the problem I described: if it is run with "java" it uses
the server JVM, if it is run with "jsvc" it uses the client JVM
whatever the options given to jsvc.  The problems with jmap, jps and
jstat are also related to jsvc.

- Has anybody else encountered a similar problem?

But you are right: posting in the tomcat mailing list will reach a
larger audience of jsvc users.

Best regards,
Dominique Petitpierre
--
* Unsolicited commercial email is NOT welcome at this address. *
Mr Dominique Petitpierre       Email: User@Domain