commons-user mailing list archives

From Martin Grogan <mgro...@mobilegolfers.net>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Problem when hosting live
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2006 16:42:33 GMT
Hi Christian,
I noticed that the factory wasn't defined and put one in, according to
the instructions on the website I sent earlier.
Unfortunately this did not make a difference.
I will look into the possibility of installing another version of
Tomcat, but this may take a while to get sorted and application
re-deployed and tested, etc.
I'm just hoping in the meantime that someone in the hosting company has
a suggestion given the fact that any website I've seen describes
reasonably clearly how to get the connection pooling done.
Here's hoping...
Thanks,
Martin

Christian Hufgard wrote:

>Hello Martin,
>
>Can't you install a seperate Tomcat for testing? It would be the best
>way to test your application on the platform it will later be used on.
>In the example context.xml-snippet I gave you, there was no factory
>definied. Maybe this is a problem.
>
>Christian
>
>Saturday, January 7, 2006, 4:49:21 PM, you wrote:
>

>>Hi Christian,
>>Afraid it would be a considerable effort to upgrade our Tomcat version
>>to 5.5 at this time. We're still doing work on other applicatons that
>>are hosted on 5.0.28.
>>I'm sure we're on the right track with the different versions of
>>context.xml, but am still getting the same messages. I will double check
>>with the hosting company that *all necessary* files are correctly
>>installed with Tomcat and will continue to pour over logs, etc. until we
>>find something that might give us a clue.
>>It hadn't occurred to me that this may due to differences in Tomcat
>>versions, so when I looked, I found and followed the information on this
>>site.
>>http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/java/connection-pooling.jspx
>>Hopefully it may prove useful for the hosting admin people.
>>

>>Thanks for all your help,
>>Martin
>>

>>Christian Hufgard wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Martin,
>>>
>>>now it starts beeing strange... Did you allready try to set up a
>>>Tomcat 5.5 on a testing machine with the same settings the live system
>>>has? Think you should do this, so you can look faster at the logs and
>>>test if a restart of the whole Tomcat is necessary.
>>>It could also be helpfull to install the Tomcat Admin webapps. There
>>>you could get some information concerning your application setup.
>>>It is normal that there are no errors in the log during startup if the
>>>pool does not has a setting to open some connections during
>>>construction.
>>>
>>>Christian

Tomcat for