commons-user mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: File Upload Usage Question
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:11:07 GMT
On 1/3/06, David Johnson <chachany@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm looking for a little guidance on the usage of fhe FileUpload component
> to see if it can meet my needs on my application. Essentially, I have an
> application that (in the session) knows the location of a file which I
> Ideally would like to move to another "common" location, such as under the
> web server itself.
>
> Does the file upload allow that sort of thing? The file itself isn't a
> part
> of the form, but I do have the file system location of the file..

Commons FileUpload can't help you if all you have is a path to the file, and
in fact if the path is for the client machine, it's really of no use to you.
(And if it's for the server machine, then you don't need an upload. ;)
FileUpload parses multipart requests, but those requests have to be made by
the browser (using an <input type="file"> element) or some other client such
as Commons HttpClient.

--
Martin Cooper

Thoughts?