commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: RE:Commons-logging WSAD5.1
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:37:11 GMT
On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 14:47 -0600, Srilatha Alase wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have a problem with DEBUG messages being printed in the SystemOut.log file.
>
> we have migrated from WSAD version 4 to WSAD 5.1 and we are encountering that commons-logging
does not consider
> the level assigned in the log4j.properties.It seems that It is reading the log4j.properties
that I provided
> since i kept a pattern to print and it prints in the pattern specified but somehow ignores
the priority.

commons-logging (JCL) is a bridge: all it does it work out which logging
system it should bridging to and then delegate all logging to the
logging system. with a bridge there are two factors to consider. the
first is a misconfiguration of the bridge, the other is a
misconfiguration of the logging system bridged to.

the easiest way to test whether JCL is logging to the logging system you
want is to check whether the output is logging to the right place and is
formatted in the expected way. if so, then the problem lies in the
configuration of the logging system (log4j, in this case). if the output
is misplaced or appears in an unusual format then it's likely that JCL
has failed to understand which logging system it should be bridging to.

> we have commons-logging.properties with the following entry :-
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jFactory

that's deprecated. the following is now preferred:

org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4jLogger

- robert