commons-user mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XMLConfiguration load problem - External Entity not found
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2005 16:53:31 GMT
William Evans wrote:
> I have finally found out what was causing me to pick up old classes - a
> vendor package I use, has an old version of Configuration package
> embedded in it! What a pain!!!

What is this package embedding Commons Configuration ? Is it widely used ?

> My code works great now but the vendor stuff doesn't because they are
> calling org.apache.commons.configuration.HierarchicalXMLConfiguration
> with the old initProperties method (without the boolean elemRefs
> parameter).

The boolean parameter appeared in the version 1.1, that means this
package was built with the version 1.0.

> Can you think of an easy way around this? Is there a way this class can
> be made backwards compatible?

As a quick workaround I suggest that you download the source of commons
configuration and add the missing method initProperties(Document) in
HierarchicalXMLConfiguration. Check if your application works with this
fix, there may be other issues.

For the long term solution I would contact the author of this package
and request to upgrade the dependency on commons configuration.

Emmanuel Bourg