commons-user mailing list archives

From Catalin Grigoroscuta <c.grigorosc...@moodmedia.ro>
Subject Re: [commons-lang] Xml escaping
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:40:45 GMT
Hi,

IMHO this is not an issue of breaking a specification, it's an issue of
XML readability.
One of the main reasons we use XML in the first place it's because it is
human readable - otherwise, we would be using something like ASN.1 instead.
I think that escaping high ascii characters makes the XML unreadable.
For example, imagine an XML written in French (they even use accent
characters in tag names, I've seen it) - escaping them would look really
unfriendly to a French guy.

Regards,
Catalin