commons-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [VFS] FTP file copy hangs part 2
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 09:40:21 GMT
Hi Lance!
> Ok... I've now found out that the process isn't hanging... there's just
> a couple of long pauses. From the log there are 2 large gaps of time
> (between 17:12 --> 17:45 and 17:45 --> 18:28). Is VFS waiting for some
> reason before it does a "removeFile".

The SoftRefFilesCache removes a file from its cache if it is gargabe
collected.
So what we might see here is only a sideeffect of the hang. I cant
belive that the SoftRefFilesCache introduce these lags.

For me it looks like some sort of "Denial-Of-Service" attack prevention
(just a wild guess). Means, if you reach the maximum number of
connections per second (or whatever period) the server will delay you
until it serves you again.
Just as a test, try to sleep for a short time (say one second) after
every copy - if the lags are gone this might be the problem.

---
Mario