commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Urgent] Digester and Configuration
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2005 00:41:13 GMT
There is one final difference between Digester and XmlConfiguration that
I may as well note before this thread finishes.

Digester does reduce the dependencies of an application; the only code
that depends directly on Digester is the initialisation code, and
thereafter an application is accessing "its own" objects. Once
initialisation is complete, Digester code is no longer needed.

Using XmlConfiguration, however, means that *every* part of the app that
wants to access config data will contain direct dependencies on
org.apache.commons.configuration classes.

However digester's benefit comes at the cost of having to write Digester
rules. And if the data is being imported into "temporary" objects
written explicitly to represent the config data, then there's the price
of writing the associated classes too.

So as is often the case, which is better depends upon the goals and
constraints for your project.

Regards,

Simon