commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Urgent] Digester and Configuration
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:05:49 GMT
On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 18:21 -0500, Sravan Duggaraju wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using lot of XML configuration files for my new application,And i was
> searching for the tools to read the  structured properties.
> I found two tools commons -->digester and configuration.
>
> 1)Which one is the appropriate tool to read the XmlConfiguration files.
> 2)I did not find good examples(documentation) for Commons
> configuration.Where can i get the examples?

Digester is capable of creating and populating *problem domain* objects
using the input xml. These objects can have real behaviour appropriate
to the problem domain. And it means that applications can basically be
written first, then "digester enabled" later without much (if any)
change to the objects built from the input data.

XmlConfiguration, as others have noted, loads data as some pool of
information that the "real" objects can consult. The objects wishing to
configure themselves need to be modified to explicitly *look* for their
associated data. For many uses, of course, this is the simplest and most
obvious approach.

There is some overlap, however. Some users of Digester simply use the
rules to populate objects with nothing but getters/setters on them which
essentially makes this the same as using XmlConfiguration.

Note that I'm very familiar with Digester but don't know much about the
Configuration project or XmlConfiguration.

Cheers,

Simon