commons-user mailing list archives

From "Lance Semmens" <lance.semm...@swebtec.com>
Subject RE: [VFS] Ftp copy hangs
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:35:59 GMT
Thanks for your help mario...
I ran the FTP service on my local machine to eliminate any network
issues and it works. I'm now looking into it.

Cheers,
Lance.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mario Ivankovits [mailto:mario@ops.co.at]
Sent: 08 November 2005 22:22
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [VFS] Ftp copy hangs

Lance Semmens wrote:
> From the logging I can see that a whole lot of putFiles are successful

> up until a certain point.

Did I ask you already which ftp server you use?
How are you connected to the ftp server?
Is there any firewall in between?
Might this firewall take your heavy access to the ftp server as
"denial-of-service" attack?
If its a unix/linux ftp server, do you use the xinetd daemon?
Maybe you can tweak the "cps" and "max_load" settings?
Is it always at the same file when it hangs?
For what I see, you use the ftp active mode, please try to switch to
passive mode with
FtpFileSystemConfigBuilder.getInstance().setPassiveMode(),
maybe there is some problem with the reverse data connection and any
firewall in between.

At last, please try to capture the transfer using tcpdump -s 2048 -w
ftp.log host <your ftp host ip>

(or ethereal in windows)

If you see a outgoing "LIST" command, but no connection back with any
file-listing then its definitely a network setup problem.

Hope something of this helps!

---
Mario