commons-user mailing list archives

From "Keith Naas" <kn...@netjets.com>
Subject RE: logging: more then one versionof 'org.apache.commons.logging.Log'
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 21:15:57 GMT

Thanks Robert,

We are currently using 1.0.4.  This morning I downloaded the src for
1.0.5alpha1 to see if the issue was addressed.  The exact same scenario
would occur since the Thread's ClassLoader is in a different EAR than
the LogFactory's ClassLoader.  It is possible that the root cause is
really with WebLogic or with Hibernate.

-----Original Message-----
From: robert burrell donkin
[mailto:robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 4:26 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: logging: more then one versionof
'org.apache.commons.logging.Log'

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 09:17 -0500, Keith Naas wrote:

<snip>

> Question:
>
> The LogFactoryImpl loads the interface on the ClassLoader from
> LogFactoryImpl.getClass().getClassLoader().  However, it loads the
> implementation on the Thread.currentThread().getClassLoader().  Why
> does it use two different ClassLoaders instead of loading both the
> interface & implementation on the same ClassLoader?

if it's education you're looking for...

for a short answer, it's because years ago this was considered the
correct way to behave according to the specifications released at that
time.

for a long answer, consult
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/tech.html and search the mail
archives.

if it's a fix you're looking for...

the trunk contains code that copes more gracefully with some common use
cases and is backwards compatible. there's a good chance that your
problem will go away if you upgrade.

- robert