commons-user mailing list archives

From Dário Luís Coneglian Oliveros <olive...@cpqd.com.br>
Subject RE: [jelly] swing example
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:35:53 GMT
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tips.
However I am still having problem getting the swing to work. :-(
I tried to use the code snippet about the System.exit, but it didn´t work.
Regarding the CardLayout, I couldn´t find its tag in the jelly swing documentation. Do you
happen to have an example about how to use it ?

One thing I´ve noticed when using Jelly Swing is that any action you define in the jelly
script is always executed as of the script startup, even though an event is not triggered
yet. Do you know if this is an expected behaviour ? I thought any action would be executed
only if an event associated to it was activated.

Regarding your reloadable strategy, I think it would be great to have something like that.
We can discuss it later if you wish.

Thanks a bunch.
Dario

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Libbrecht [mailto:paul@activemath.org]
Sent: quinta-feira, 3 de novembro de 2005 10:15
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [jelly] swing example

Le 3 nov. 05, à 11:46, Dário Luís Coneglian Oliveros a écrit :
> I was wondering if anyone could help me get some of my Jelly Swing
> questions answered.
>
> 1) Considering my swing appl has two menu items and one main panel, is
> it possible to change the panel content according to the menu item
> selected ?

You might give a try with a CardLayout, or ?

> 3) Is there any command to quit a Jelly Swing application ? Couldn´t
> find any sample on the web that does that.

Would the following work ?
<j:invokeStatic className="java.lang.System" method="exit">
	<arg>0</arg>
</j:invokeStatic>
There is also a quit in the swing-demo.

> 2) Let´s say a panel has a text field and a button. When pressing the
> button, a request is sent with the text field value. How can I show
> the response in the panel ?

This is not easy, I feel. I've been working on reloadable swing
components for a while where a script would be run again in order to
populate the pane but I didn't come with a final solution.
I know that you can get a similar effect by doing a bit more method
invocations and variable assignments.
   ${pane.remove(xx)}

My intent for reloadable component is, indeed, to have each component
behave as a browser frame and request to re-run a population-script
along a target.

Just thinking out loud, I seem to encounter that the following might be
enough:

<sw:frame>
  blabla
   <sw:panel var="myList"/>
  </sw:frame>

and somewhere else (e.g. as a child of action:

<sw:target name="panel">
   <sw:label>casdasa</sw:label>
</sw:target>

That is, we would introduce a "target" element that would allow an
component to be cleared than repopulated by its content...
This seems suddenly pretty easy to implement compared to the
"reloadable" kind of things I expected. Would it fit your task ?

paul