commons-user mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: [DBCP] Beginner how-to
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:28:57 GMT
Are you using Tomcat?

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Grogan [mailto:mgrogan@keizensoftware.com]
Sent: 29 November 2005 09:27
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: [DBCP] Beginner how-to

Hi all,
I'm a complete beginner with commons DBCP and unsure where to start. I
require connection pooling to increase performance of my web
application.
All elements of my application are servlets (no EJB's, no JSP's) and for
each servlet, I basically do the old-fashioned thing...
1. Open connection to data source (mySQL) 2. Create statement 3. Execute
a pile of queries 4. Close statement 5. Close connection I am using
Tomcat 5.0.28 and mysql-connector-java-3.1.8. We are not using any
dedicated web-server like Apache, just Tomcat.
Can anyone tell my what I need to do to start using connection pooling
in my applications? Maybe some sample servlet code, and server
configuration, JAR's I need, etc.
I'm basically an old ASP programmer that's picked up Java and now am
trying to do things the Java way.
Thanks,
Martin

Martin Grogan