commons-user mailing list archives

From James Hughes <jameshug...@rulefinancial.com>
Subject RE: HTTPClient and Client Certificates
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:54:40 GMT
Thanks Oleg, that clears it up nicely.  Having looked at the various
environments this needs to work in (jvms 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 etc), it appears that
implementing one's own Factory is probably best anyway.

Thanks again.
James

-----Original Message-----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski
To: commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
Sent: 07/11/2005 15:52
Subject: Re: HTTPClient and Client Certificates

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 01:10:32PM -0000, James Hughes wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Please accept my apologies if I have missed the documentation/previous
mails
> about the problem below, but I have already spent a couple of hours
looking
> for the answer and am hoping that there is somebody here who can help.
>
> I wish to use the httpclient library to make requests over ssl to a
server
> which requires client certificates (in jdk1.3 with jsse1.0.3
installed).  I
> can see that in the httpclient documentation and in svn (but not in
official
> binary releases - how come?) that there is a class called
> AuthSSLSecureSocketFactory hanging around that looks a bit like it
might do
> the job.  Given that it is not part of the binary release, should I
use this
> class i.e. copy paste the code into my own project?  Is there a better
way
> of doing this?

James,

The classes in contrib package such as AuthSSLSecureSocketFactory are
distributed in source code only because they are either dependent on
an additional external library or may be unfit for production use
without
a review and customization.

AuthSSLSecureSocketFactory relies on Sun Java specific classes and
interfaces, and therefore cannot be distributed with HttpClient proper

Hope this explains the situation

Oleg