commons-user mailing list archives

From Rakesh Patel <rakesh.mailgro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DBCP] PerUserPoolDataSource - Problem with changing passwords
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:20:37 GMT
Hi,

I think the reason no one answered your post is that your use of DBCP is
very unusual. Generally, you would use DBCP to maintain a pool of
connections where each connection is identical (ie created with the same
username/password) and is NOT an actual application user.

This account is generic and allows access to the db but additional work
is required for authentication and authorisation.

This is how i used DBCP recently:

1. Created a table of usernames/passwords in the db. eg AKohlbecker.
2. Create a DB USER java_app/java_app.
3. Configure DBCP to create a pool of java_app connections.
4. Create a login page and collect username/password from form (eg
AKohlbecker/Cr1cket).
5. Using one of the connections, issue SQL to verify the
username/password provided.

The java_app account doesn't need to have its password changed.

Hope thats clear,

Rakesh