commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] Unexpected behavior
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2005 17:13:10 GMT
Borut BolĨina wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when having an attribute value with commas in XML configuration file,
> this value gets splitted. An example:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <questionnaire>
>    <set week="42" text="Questions for first week">
>        <question text="First question, something after comma.">   <===
> offending
>            <answers>
>                <answer>(I) 1.a</answer>
>                <answer correct="true">(I) 1.b</answer>
>                <answer>(I) 1.c</answer>
>            </answers>
>        </question>
>        <question text="Second question, which includes comma in the
> sentence.">   <=== offending
>            <answers>
>                <answer correct="true">(I) 2.a</answer>
>                <answer>(I) 2.b</answer>
>                <answer>(I) 2.c</answer>
>            </answers>
>        </question>
>
> When calling this method
>

>    /**
>     * @return all questions from XML configuration file
>     */
>    @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
>    public Collection<String> getQuestions() {
>        String ofQuestions = "set.question[@text]";
>        return config.getList(ofQuestions);
>    }
>
> the returned list contains *four* instead of two questions:
> 1.) First question
> 2.) something after comma
> 3.) Second question
> 4.) which includes comma in the sentence
>
> Is this by design? I think this should not work this way.
>
> Regards,
> Borut

The "," character is per default interpreted as property value
delimiter. That means if a comma is found in an attribute or in the text
value of an XML element, the text will be splitted and two values will
be stored. This mechanism is described in the section "Lists and arrays"
of the properties howto
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/configuration/howto_properties.html),
and XMLConfiguration adapted this behavior to be compatible.

The easiest way to solve your problem is to escape the commas in your
attributes with a backslash, e.g.

<question text="Second question\, which includes comma in the sentence.">

Then the strings won't get splitted.

Oliver