commons-user mailing list archives

From Robert Enyedi <reny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vfs] Disabling default file caching
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:00:51 GMT
Hi,

Well, I've thought the same thing for a while.
> But not using caching at all will have quite an
> impact on speed. So turning it off completely by
> default ...don't know if that makes sense on the
> protocol level. You might want to have something
> in between.

If you want something in between then you should explicitly state it in the
code. But by default to not support concurrent access to the filesystem is
at least strange...

We ended up just properly closing everything which
> made all problems disappear - for us.

So you mean that having a directory.close() call before
directory.getChildren() is a nice approach?

Don't get me wrong, I also believe that caching is a very useful feature to
have. But I think that future development should look into the default
policy and ways to dynamically update that policy.

Regards,
Robert