commons-user mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <>
Subject Re: [HTTPClient] Simulating slow connections
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:02:31 GMT
On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 01:29:24PM +0000, sebb wrote:
> Is there any way to simulate slow network connections in HttpClient?
> We use it in JMeter, and a user has asked if JMeter can support
> emulation of slow, e.g. dial-up modem connections.
> JMeter test plans can of course include timers, but that is not quite
> the same. For example the connections would still only be active for
> short periods.
> Just wondering if there is an option to slow down the connections at a
> much lower level?
> We did something similar in Perl by putting waits into the low-level
> read/write method.
> Or is this something that needs to be done by JMeter?
> S.

Hi Sebastian

One can simulate the effect of a slow network connection by temporarily
blocking the communication thread with Thread#sleep() while uploading
the request entity or/and downloading the response entity. There's no
way I can think of to slow down the processing of request/response
headers, save forking the code, because HttpClient 3.0 does not expose
the underlying HttpConnection instance to the request caller.

PS: there are dedicated HttpClient lists and
which you should write to when seeking assistance with HttpClient. I am
likely to be the only HttpClient committer who monitors this list. If
you want to address HttpClient / HttpComponents project community as a
whole and get a more comprehensive response, please post your questions
to one of the project's lists