commons-user mailing list archives

From Michael Jouravlev <jmi...@gmail.com>
Subject [RESOURCES] Messages vs. regular properties
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 01:28:56 GMT
Do I miss something or messages and resources are incompatible? From
my point of view they are basically the same thing. Differences are:

 * resources can be anything, messages can be only strings
 * messages take parameters to stick into placeholders

So why two sets of classes, which are so different? For example, I was
able to easily load message from property file located in the
classpath, but I could not do the same treating message as resource,
because current API does not search in classpath. Or does it? Locale
is not optional, should it be?

Maybe it is possible to introduce Property class, make Message
subclass of Property. Ditch Messages class and create one Properties
class (or some other name) that holds both properties and messages and
whatnot.

At any rate, the usage of properties and messages should be identical.

Michael.