commons-user mailing list archives

From Andrew ...@starfishzone.com>
Subject Re: Commons Net : FTPClient from Tomcat
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:27:33 GMT
At 22:13 19/10/2005, you wrote:
>If I take that very same block of code and try to execute it from a servlet,
>it hangs on:
>ftp.storeUniqueFile( <ftp://ftp.storeuniquefile("xcbl-po/> "xcbl-po", is);

With the caveat that I have not used the common FTPClient...!
a common issue with FTP is the "back channel" which can be disabled by
configuring the client to work in "passive" mode.  I would look at that
first.

Secondly, there may be SecurityManager in force that is denying your open a
socket (I am not sure when the connection is actually made) - but then you
would get a SecurityException, wouldn't you?

Other considerations:
Is the servlet running on the same machine as Eclipse?
Is either JVM (eclipse or tomcat) operating with a proxy setting?
Run up an FTP server on your workstation and prove connection locally;
here's a simple Windows-based one: www.cerberusftp.com