commons-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: [VFS] SFTP and which jsch library
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2005 05:07:18 GMT

the project.xml for VFS defines a dependency on version 0.1.17.  Try that
and see if it works better for you.

<rant>
However, it seems to me that VFS should just bite the bullet and move to
support newer versions of dependencies.  No one wants to be dependent on
old buggy versions of libraries.  For those already using snapshots of VFS
who don't want to update dependencies, then they can keep using the
snapshot.  1.0 shouldn't be bothered with worrying about backward
compatibility with unreleased versions.  That just means that future
releases will have to be (unfortunately, legitimately) burdened by backward
compatibility to 1.0, which, if not previously burdened with backward
compatibility to snapshots using extremely out-of-date libraries, would be
much easier to keep up with forward compatibility.  Yes, be liberal and
release early and often, but make sure to take the same liberal stance in
keeping up with dependencies.  Being conservative just leads to indictments
(whoops, where did that come from?).
<rant>

Jake