commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Logging] Using FOP in JBoss
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:59:08 GMT
On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 08:44 +0100, Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Christian Hufgard wrote:
>
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > think you should take a look into your
> > jboss/server/(minimal/default/full/whatver you use)/conf/log4j.xml
> > file. in there you can define whatever you want. maybey jboss uses
> > commons logging, but in the end this config files determines, where to
> > log what. at least at my installations it works this way.
> >
> > greets
> >
> > christian
>
> Thanks Christian - you are right.

The problem is that by this point everything is going to a single log4j
instance, meaning that there is no way to configure per-webapp logging
here.

Well, there is, sort of. JBoss have this odd hack where you can use a
custom log4j filter to filter out everything except messages coming from
a webapp at a specific "context path". That's really inefficient though.

It's much nicer to set up logging so it goes to *different* logging
library instances (ie ones deployed *within* the webapp) rather than to
a global instance which then filters out messages by context.

>>From memory, both setups are reasonably well documented by jboss though.

Regards,

Simon