commons-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Schildbach <andr...@schildbach.de>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: [FileUpload] Issue with multipart/form-data and request parameters in include]
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:37:04 GMT
Brian Cook wrote:

> I just realized if as you said you are using the for fragments  to fill
> in redundant parts of forms [...]

I did not say that.

I'm feeling we are talking at cross-purposes. Let's look at a more
concrete example:

I want to have an omni-present navigation bar on the left hand side of
the page. To implement this, I am including a fragment "navigation.do"
for the navigation bar on every page of my web application. Note that
this fragment actually consists of its own controller, model and view.

Now, I want that each page can indicate to the navigation bar an entry
that is highlighted, so that the currently opened part of the web page
is represented with a highlighted entry in the navigation (also, if the
highlighted entry is contained in a foldable sub-menu it could be
expanded). I implement this by feeding in a parameter named "page" from
every invocation of the fragment.

Thus, the include looks like the following (using JSTL):

<c:import url="navigation.do?page=forum"/>

or, alternatively

<c:import url="navigation.do"><c:param name="page"
value="forum"/></c:import>

Obviously, these tags would also be present in pages that have got forms
(to serve completely different purposes), but this does not matter in my
case.

What matters more, is that the fragment would also need to be included
in the _target_ page of any form. Like I said, I need to transmit the
full UTF range, this is why I am using POST and why I am using
enctype="multipart/form-data".

The controller of the navigation would read the parameter with the
statement:

request.getParameter("page")

Could you tell me exactly how to change the <c:import/> example above in
order for the parameter to actually arrive in the navigation fragment? I
still don't understand how you want me to transform the parameter into a
"hidden form parameter".

> Any time you start to make fragments dynamic you will start to run
> into situations where they will work for some pages but not others.

I am starting to believe this, although it would make JSP technology
nearly unusable for modularization. How many parts of todays web
applications are really static? It is ridiculous to expect that
potentially very complex fragments like (foldable) navigation bars have
to be duplicated to each model, view and controller of the whole
application.

> So do not use <a> tags.  Just use forms.

Please don't get me wrong, but is this a joke? Are you really telling me
to replace each

by something like

<form method="post" action="action.do">
   <input type="hidden" name="param" value="value"/>
   <input type="submit" value="link"/>
</form>

?

Regards,