commons-user mailing list archives

From Jon Blower <...@mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Basic questions about VFS
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:11:08 GMT
Hi Mario,

Yes, I see the problem and I agree that native libraries would not be a
good solution.  However, there must be some underlying libraries (e.g. the
FTP libraries?) that understand file permissions.  Even if it weren't
available in VFS files that are underlain by java.io.File, perhaps it
would still be useful to have support in VFS for filesystems that do
support permissions in pure Java?  VFS could detect whether permissions
were supported and allow manipulation accordingly.

Cheers, Jon

Dr Jon Blower              Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)
Technical Director         Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)
Reading e-Science Centre   Fax: +44 118 378 6413
ESSC                       Email: jdb@mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
University of Reading
3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL, UK