commons-user mailing list archives

From Jon Blower <...@mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Basic questions about VFS
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:02:40 GMT
Hi Mario,

Thanks very much for all this information.  The lack of file permissions
support could be a problem for me.  I understand why it's not there, as
many systems don't use permissions, but I was wondering if there could at
least be a system for setting and getting file permissions (if the correct
Capability is set) and for creating files and folders with given
permissions?

Perhaps there could be a "hasPosixPermissions" Capability, and if a file
has that capability, its permissions can be set and read?

As for the asynchronous I/O, that would be very useful too.  I might be
able to contribute something when I've understood VFS a bit better.

Regards, Jon

Dr Jon Blower              Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)
Technical Director         Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)
Reading e-Science Centre   Fax: +44 118 378 6413
ESSC                       Email: jdb@mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
University of Reading
3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL, UK