commons-user mailing list archives

From Jon Blower <...@mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk>
Subject Basic questions about VFS
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:37:48 GMT
Hi all,

I've just come across the Commons VFS project and I think it could be very
useful to me.  I have developed a Java implementation of the Styx protocol
for distributed systems (http://jstyx.sf.net).  In Styx, every resource is
represented as a set of virtual files, and so it should be straightforward
to represent these files using VFS.

I have a few questions about VFS.  I have looked on the Web for answers,
but apologies if I have missed something.

1) What is the status of the VFS project?  Is it still actively being
developed?  Is it planned to be a key part of any important Apache
projects?  (I am trying to establish whether the project has potential
longevity.)

2) When is a formal release planned?  At the moment is the only way to get
the software via the nightly builds?  The SVN repository
(http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/) seems to say that the Commons project
is closing - is this true, or has the SVN repository moved somewhere else?

3) Are there any GUI apps (e.g. file system browsers) that interact with
VFS resources?

4) How does VFS deal with file permissions?  I have seen the isReadable()
etc methods but how can a new file be created with given permissions?
(Styx systems, like POSIX ones, have rwxrwxrwx file permissions).

5) Is asynchronous I/O supported?  I.e. can I send a message to write data
to a file and provide a callback for when the data are written?

Very sorry if I have posted to the wrong list (I wasn't sure if some of
these questions are for developers) and also sorry if this information is
on the Web.  Please tell me to RTFM (or point me to a web page!) if I have
missed something.

Regards, Jon

Dr Jon Blower              Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)
Technical Director         Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)
Reading e-Science Centre   Fax: +44 118 378 6413
ESSC                       Email: jdb@mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
University of Reading
3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL, UK