commons-user mailing list archives

From Felipe Crochik <felipecroc...@gmail.com>
Subject VFS - access the same file in different file systems with a relative path
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:37:59 GMT
I am trying the VFS project for the first time and I am wondering if (and
how) I can use it to solve the following scenario:
 I have an application that will store in a database some "relative paths"
like "somefolder/somefile.someextension". I would like this application to
later be able to access the file using the VFS
resolveFile("SCHEMA1:somefolder/somefile.someextension") and have the
SCHEMA1 defined in the providers.xml in one of several different ways
depending on how the application can access this file at that
implementation: In one scenario it would be a localfile provider (with a
base folder defined - I could not figure out how to do this). In another
would use the SSH provider with a defined user, password and base path. In a
third a FTP provider and so on.
 The application and paths would always be the same the only thing I would
do is to redefine the SCHEMA1 on the providers.xml. At least, this is my
"dream". Can I do that? How?
 My first impression is that the VFS project allows me to access "files"
from several different "places" the same way. I am looking to do have a
transparent way to access a file from any of this different "places" w/o
changing the code or its path, just some configuration file for the VFS
system.
 Any comments are welcome
 Felipe