commons-user mailing list archives

From Jan Luehe <Jan.Lu...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Classloading regression between commons-digester-1.0 and later versions
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:18:29 GMT
Hi Craig,

Craig McClanahan wrote On 09/29/05 15:44,:
> Hi Jan :-),
>
> On 9/29/05, *Jan Luehe* <Jan.Luehe@sun.com <mailto:Jan.Luehe@sun.com>>
> wrote:
>

>     Can someone explain to me the motivation for setting the
>     "useContextClassLoader" property to FALSE by default?
>
> The motivation was this -- in a J2SE (now, Java SE) application, there
> may not be a thread context class loader at all, or it might have
> completely different semantics than what the EE specs require for a
> servlet container's thread context class loader.  It seemed safer to
> avoid potential class loading mysteries to implement this as the default.

thanks for your reply.

Do you think it would have made sense for Digester to also consider
a "useContextClassLoader" system property (which would be overridden
by the Digester's "useContextClassLoader" property)?

This would allow code that runs in an EE environment and relies on
the digester being able to load classes from WEB-INF/lib to continue
to work with later commons-digester versions, by setting the
"useContextClassLoader" system property to TRUE. This would be useful
in cases where one does not have any control over the code that
acquires a digester.

Thanks,

Jan