commons-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <>
Subject Re: Basic questions about VFS
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:19:45 GMT
>1) What is the status of the VFS project?
We are close before a 1.0 release.
>Is it still actively being developed?
Currently I am the only active committer, but there is a active user
base and some contributors.
>Is it planned to be a key part of any important Apache projects?
Not that I am aware of. From our internal logs (those which other
projects fail if I made a mistake) I can see its used in
cocoon, excalibur, forrest and log4j-chainsaw (log viewer), though I
know of some other people who use vfs
as part of their productive system.
>2) When is a formal release planned?
see above
>At the moment is the only way to get the software via the nightly builds?
Yes - and svn head.
>The SVN repository ( seems to say that the Commons
>is closing - is this true, or has the SVN repository moved somewhere else?
You must dive into jakarta/commons not the top level commons.
>3) Are there any GUI apps (e.g. file system browsers) that interact with
>VFS resources?
>4) How does VFS deal with file permissions?
VFS do not deal with file permissions, its up to the used library and in
fact at last by the operating system if a system is read-/writeable.
VFS do not have a api to change/set file permissions.
>5) Is asynchronous I/O supported?  I.e. can I send a message to write data
>to a file and provide a callback for when the data are written?
Currently not, but might be a great addition.

Do not hesitate to ask further questions.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message