commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <>
Subject Re: [configuration] PropertiesConfiguration doesn't throw exception when path is a directory
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2005 09:16:47 GMT
Moran Ben-David wrote:

>Hi all,
>I recently noticed that when I use a string which is a directory to create a
>PropertiesConfiguration, no exception is thrown.  Is this by intention?
>For example, I do
>PropertiesConfiguration temp =
>	new PropertiesConfiguration("c:/baddirectory");
>I get the expected
>org.apache.commons.configuration.ConfigurationException: Cannot locate
>configuration source baddirectory
>However, when I do
>PropertiesConfiguration temp2 = new PropertiesConfiguration("c:/windows");
>I don't get any exception.  Is this a desired behaviour?  The difference
>between "baddirectory" and "windows" is that the former doesn't exist and
>the latter does.
This is surely no intended behavior. I have not yet looked into this in
detail, but I assume that the problem lies in the algorithm for locating
configuration files: This algorithm - amongst other things - checks for
the passed in name if it can be converted to a File object and this
object's exists() method returns true. We will probably have to ensure
that this handle does not point to a directory, too.

Thanks for spotting this. Would you please be so kind to open a Bugzilla
ticket for this issue.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message