commons-user mailing list archives

From Matthias Bräuer <braeuer.matth...@web.de>
Subject [Configuration] Problems reading Chinese text from an XMLConfiguration
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:19:18 GMT
Hello,

I'm having problems reading Chinese data from an XMLConfiguration. The
configuration file is encoded in UTF-8. For instance, in my test file
the attribute 'name' of the element 'source' is called "我的文件"
(Chinese for "My files"). When I request this value from the
configuration I get back "我的文件" which obviously is the result of
some wrong character decoding.

The 'name' attribute is used as a key for a HashMap. Consequently,
searching with the key '我的文件' (the original Chinese characters) does
not return the entry because apparently the hash code of this Unicode
string differs from what the XMLConfiguration returned. Also, printing
the name on a JLabel with a Chinese-capable font like "SimSun" gives the
wrong result listed above. However, when I write the configuration back
to a file, the correct Unicode characters are written.

I used the following code fragment to investigate the problem:

        XMLConfiguration config = null;

        try {
            config = new XMLConfiguration("tests/conf/sources_chinese.xml");
        }
        catch (ConfigurationException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        }

        String name = config.getString("source(0)[@name]");
        String name2 = "我的文件";

When I use a debugger to check the memory content I see the correct
Chinese characters in the debug view for the (manually constructed)
'name2'. However, the variable 'name' (which is read from the
XMLConfiguration) shows the garbled "我的文件" string.

It appears to me that XMLConfiguration reads and writes in a different
format than UTF-8 which, however, would be a bit strange. I had no time
today to check this in the sources. Maybe someone on the list has
experienced similar problems. Please do not point me to the Java
internationalization pages, I've browsed through these a long time. :-)

Thank you very much in advance,
Kind regards from Taiwan, Matthias