commons-user mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: HttpServletRequest processing
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 03:16:40 GMT
Hi,

There really is no straight-forward way of doing this.  In theory it
goes against the basic nature of HTTP.

That being said, Michael McGrady implemented such a solution, and
hopefully he will see this and be able to talk about it.  I'll do my
best to remember the basic theory...

You start by targeting your form submission to a new window.  This is
where your progress bar will display.  In your servlet that recieves the
request that contains the file upload, you spawn a new thread to handle
the upload and return immediately with a page with some Javascript to
periodically poll the servlet to get the progress of the upload (every 5
seconds for example).  The servlet of course has to retain a reference
to the thread handling the upload, and it has to have some sort of
unique identifier to be able to request the status update.  This
identifier is passed to the servlet from the progress window.  Once the
upload completes, a page is returned to inform the user (might be in the
popup still, might be a page that redirects the parent window of the
popup to a completion page).

Michael will hopefully correct me or expand on this as appropriate, but
that's what I recall being the basic theory behind his approach.  I
think his code was on the Struts Wiki at one point, you may want to go
have a look and see.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect