commons-user mailing list archives

From Jens Viebig <>
Subject Re: [VFS] FTPClientWrapper Broken Pipe
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:55:59 GMT
Hello, how do you set a timeout on the client side ?
My ftp server times out after 5 minutes, normally the connection
restarts as expected.
My code runs inside a background service that is running 24/7 so there
are a lot of things that can cause an 'unexpected' IOException. A
physical network is never perfect.
Im using bea jrockit jvm that is 1.4 compatible
Im using commons-net 1.4
Yes it seems that isConnected() that is used in FTPClientWrapper does
not do a physical test. I think i will try to replace

all catch blocks

catch (FTPConnectionClosedException e)

catch(IOException e)

in FTPClientWrapper

FTPConnectionClosedException is a subclass of  IOException so there  is
no need to have two catch blocks.
Hope this will be fixed in official future releases of commons-VFS