commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Specify CallParamRule(int paramIndex, int stackIndex) via XML?
Date Sat, 10 Sep 2005 01:51:50 GMT
On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 09:51 -0400, Mark Helmstetter wrote:
> Looking at the DTD, it seems that it's not possible to specify
> CallParamRule(int paramIndex, int stackIndex) via XML?

It looks like it is supported in release 1.7.0 to me....
<!ELEMENT call-param-rule EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST call-param-rule
    pattern  CDATA #IMPLIED
    paramnumber CDATA #REQUIRED
    attrname CDATA #IMPLIED
    from-stack CDATA #IMPLIED
    stack-index CDATA #IMPLIED>

xml attr paramnumber == paramIndex
xml attr stack-index == stackIndex

Support for this was added by this commit:

r132750 | skitching | 2005-01-18 13:11:12 +1300 (Tue, 18 Jan 2005) | 3
lines

Add support for "stack-index" feature of CallParamRule. Patch by
Kris Nuttycombe, inspired by Blake Meike.

Release 1.7.0 includes this patch (it is based on r190187, made on
2005-06-12).

> Other than the AddressBook example, are there any "good" examples
> demonstrating advanced features such as call-method-rule and
> call-param-rule?

There aren't many examples of xmlrules usage because I wrote most of the
examples, but I don't use (and don't particularly like) xmlrules.

All the authors of the xmlrules module have long since vanished. Some
users of the xmlrules module (esp. Wendy Smoak) have contributed patches
to the examples but it's still less documented than the direct java API
usage.

As you can see, the src/examples/api directory does have a much larger
range of example code than the src/examples/xmlrules directory,
including use of CallMethodRule/CallParamRule. It's probably worth
reading these even if you intend to use xmlrules, as the principles are
still the same.

You are very welcome to contribute patches to port the API examples to
xmlrules...

Regards,

Simon