commons-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Doyle" <paul.do...@traventec.com>
Subject [math] RandomData: Zero variance in Gaussian distribution?
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 09:46:12 GMT
The RandomData interface stipulates that the standard deviation value for a call to nextGaussian(double
mu, double sigma) should be greater than zero.  Can anybody explain to me why this restriction
exists?

I would like to use a range of standard deviation values, including at times a value of zero
resulting in a return value equal to the specified mean value.  The above restriction prevents
this.  I can work around this easily enough but now I'm wondering if there is a good reason
not to do so.

Thanks in advance -

Paul

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be privileged and are
intended solely for the individual named/ for the use of the individual or entity to whom
they are addressed.If you are not the intended addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute
or copy this e-mail.Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this e-mail
by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that reviewing, disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in
reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.Please note that any views
or opinions expressed in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of Traventec Limited. This e-mail has been swept for computer viruses however
Traventec Limited accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this
e-mail.