commons-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: [POLL][VFS] how to resolve relative filenames
Date Sat, 20 Aug 2005 01:31:59 GMT
At 03:22 PM 8/19/2005 -0400, you wrote:
 >> [ ] Use URI style
 >> [X] Keep current behaviour
 >> [X] Minimum jdk 1.4
 >> [ ] Minimum jdk 1.3
 >
 >I think that for a new release, you must provide backwards compatible
 >behavior unless you are fixing an obvious bug.

...if you are supporting an actual official release, of which there aren't
any for commons-vfs

 >This does not sound like
 >a bug.

Depends on ones point of view.  If the VFS is meant to allow for
referencing any resource via a URI and it doesn't follow the spec, then it
is a bug.  If the current behavior was done on purpose and for good
reasons, then it is arguable that it isn't a bug, even if the reported
"bad" behavior was unforseen.  I would lean toward the former.

 >If it were up to me, I would release your next version ASAP and then
 >tackle how to provide both behaviors in the best way for a subsequent
 >release. I like the XP mantra: "Release early, release often".

Except when XP'ers become born again and decide that backward compatibility
is the end all, be all goal.  In fact, if you are worried about it now, you
will be doubly worried about it after an official release.  If it isn't
done now, we might as well forget about it because it just won't be done
because people will have expectations that behavior doesn't change
significantly from release to release.  If you expect to do it at some
point, do it now.  Now or never.

[X] Use URI style
[ ] Keep current behaviour
[X ] Minimum jdk 1.4 (unless it is, somehow, possible to keep JDK1.3
compatibility without too much extra effort)
[ ] Minimum jdk 1.3

Jake