commons-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Commons Configuration Ant Task(s)
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:05:31 GMT
At 10:36 AM 8/17/2005 -0400, you wrote:
 >Oliver,
 >
 >I didn't have a chance to reply to this message previously.  I lost it in my
 >mail client (too many emails in the day I will blame).  I fished this out
 >from an archive luckily.  So forgive the late reply.
 >
 >>>4. Is this the right list to discuss such bridges between commons-conf
 >>>and ant?

This might be useful, but have you looked at <xmlproperty>?
http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/xmlproperty.html

It does a lot of what commons-configuration would do.  In fact, there are
certain things about <xmlproperty> that appeal to me over
commons-configuration such as the ability to treat attributes the same way
as the elements themselves.  For instance...

<xmlproperty
     file="props.xml"
     collapseAttributes="true"
     keepRoot="false"
     semanticAttributes="true"/>

<url ant="http://ant.apache.org/"/>

is equivalent to

<url>
     <ant>http://ant.apache.org/</ant>
</url>

When I reference this property elsewhere, I don't have to worry about
whether I defined "ant" as an attribute or an element.  I just reference it
as ${url.ant}.  This is because of collapseAttributes="true".  I would
think this would be a decent commons-configuration enhancement,
no?  commons-configuration shines in being able to reference individual
items in a collection rather than as a comma-delimited list as
<xmlproperty> would generate.  But I haven't found a need for this within
Ant as of yet.

There are a few other things more Ant specific such as semanticAttributes
that are nice to have in the Ant environment as well.  Anyway, my point is,
make sure that you've exhausted the solutions that Ant provides before
running off and writing tasks that might very well do exactly the same
thing, or at least an equivalent that you could live with.

Jake