commons-user mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [VFS] URI normalization
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:51:19 GMT
Hi!
> Should VFS normalize URIs before parsing a file name ?
Do you have a problem with the current behaviour?
VFS do not encode special characters other than "%" and sometimes "?"
(url based fs) and sometimes "!" (layers/zip fs).

Before any parsing the filename is DEcoded. For VFS it is needed to have
a consistent view of the filename even if it is encoded or decoded -
that does not matter.

If I encode/normalize it, all visual representation of the filename
looks a little bit strange.

Even if the VFS filename looks like a URI I think we could still treat
it simply as "VFS filename" - human readable with minimum encoding.
The filesystem implemenation is responsible to to encode it at needed
(e.g. take session charset into account).

For sure, you can reverse all said above ... but what's the advantage of it?

The BIG disadvantage is to have to deal e.g. with charsets in VFS core.
If the filename is encoded we have to know which charset was used.

Ciao,
Mario