commons-user mailing list archives

From Aad Nales <aad.na...@rotterdam-cs.com>
Subject [Digester] how stateless is a Rules implementation supposed to be?
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:00:43 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to create cachable parsing rules for a number of Digester
objects that I am using in my app. From various source I have understood
that a Class implementing the Rules interface is supposed to be
stateless. Which seems very logical. Here is however what i don't get.

On the rules Interface a 'setDigester' exists which is used to associate
the Rules object with the Digester. My question why? or perhaps more
importantly what is the effect?

Suppose I create a Rules object holding my parser rules e.g. MyRules
with a an instance myRules and I call digester.setRules(myRules). My
guess is that some kind of call back takes place that associated this
digester with the myRules.

Suppose I reuse the myRules object for digester2. What kind of effects
should I expect? And if none (which I guess I am sort of hoping for :-)
why is a RuleSet associated with a Rules object?

Any input is appreciated,

regards,
Aad Nales