commons-user mailing list archives

From sol myr <solmyr_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: So... Betwixt...
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:41:41 GMT
We've been using Betwixt too :)
We use it when transferring XML data over MQ transport.
Also for reading configuration files.

Admittedly we haven't been demanding much from it (this is not to say betwixt is limited...!
we just haven't reached the point where we need to push it):

A) our data is small - average data about 1 kilobyte

B) our  xml format is straight forward - we've used ".betwixt" files to control the name of
some tags, and hide some properties , but other than that it's straight-forward (also out
objects are simple, no cyclic references, no maps, etc).

What I liked about it:  easy to use, does not require any schema/dtd, xml format looks sensible
(at least for our simple needs).
I also get the feeling you can add a decent amount of flexibility when combining it with digester/xpath.

Didn't like the fact it depends on a million other "commons" files (real problem when you're
writing API for other programmers - if you rely on betwixt, then your user guide starts with
"download the following 1000 jars from jakarta, and add them to your classpath: commons-collections,
commons-beans, common-digester...  ).

Regards :)

Lutz Horn <lutz.horn@gmx.de> wrote:
Hi,