commons-user mailing list archives

From Kirill Grouchnikov <kirillc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Re: [betwixt] Time and memory performance
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 14:44:10 GMT
> > > A link to each library is provided. I wouldn't want
> > > copy
> > > too much information as it can get out of sync very
> > > quick.
> > > For JAXB 2.0 there is a specific mention that it
> requires
> > > 5.0+.
>
> IMO it's important for usability.
> And it won't change for a given version of the library.

As said before, i do not intend to provide complete
information on each library. There's a link to the library
homepage to see more information. As stated on the project
homepage, the benchmark is run under JDK 5.0_02, so i don
not differentiate between libraries that run on 1.1.4 and
on 1.4.2 only.

> > > Same as above. Keeping track of licenses is not one
> of
> > > the
> > > project goals.
> > >

> But it does form part of the usability.
> And the licence is unlikely to change, particularly for a
> specific version.

Once again, same as above (especially tracking down
licenses for dependant libraries).

> Web
> It
> the
> > >
> > > The jars include only runtime jars (how bigger your
> > > application gets when it uses the specific library).
> > >

> However, one of the criteria on the FAQ page includes the
> following:
>
> * The time to download [...]

A minor one (especially since i'm on DSL line both at work
and at home). More important is the number of runtime jars
- for build.xml, but that's also a minor issue compared to
other bullets in the list. Thanks for pointing out though,
i'll add JAXB DL size to negative points, but it will not
affect the library size.

> with
> > >
> > > xpp3.jar
>
> There are various different versions of xpp3; the one
> currently linked
> from the xstream web-site is:
>
> xpp3_min-1.1.3.4.I.jar
>
> Was it this one? Or perhaps a later one?

I see now that they have a new version out (1.1.2). I'll
evaluate it this weekend (along with the linked XPP
library). I don't remember the exact version of XPP linked
back when XStream was at 1.1.1

Regards
Kirill