commons-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas Fischer" <Thomas.Fisc...@movielink.com>
Subject [dbcp] ValidationQuery doesn't seem to be executed
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:19:11 GMT
Hi,
I had some suspicions, if dbcp is executing the validation query. So, I
created an Oracle sequence, and had the validation query increment it.
The sequence is not getting incremented. It's probably a configuration
mistake on my part. Please, take a look at my code:

	// set up dbcp
            BasicDataSource ds = new BasicDataSource();
            ds.setDriverClassName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");
            ds.setUsername("bla");
            ds.setPassword("bla");
            ds.setUrl("jdbc:oracle:thin:@bla:1521:bla");
            ds.setMaxActive(20);
            ds.setMaxIdle(20);
            ds.setTestOnBorrow(true);
            ds.setTestOnReturn(true);
            ds.setTestWhileIdle(true);
            ds.setValidationQuery("select tf_dbcp_test.nextval from
dual");

	// get connection and return it to simulate some usage
            PreparedStatement stmt = conn.prepareStatement("select *
from bla");
            ResultSet result = stmt.executeQuery();
            result.next();
            System.out.println("fly product is " + result.getString(1));
            conn.commit();
            result.close();
            stmt.close();
            conn.close();

	// get another connection
            conn = ds.getConnection();
            conn.close();

I'd expect that dbcp would execute the validation query four times (2 *
on borrow and 2 * on return). Though, the sequence has not been
incremented.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Thomas