commons-user mailing list archives

From "Bernard, Shawn" <Shawn.Bern...@turner.com>
Subject RE: [Commons, Collections, JXPath] Looking for more to read, pros/cons of filtering methods
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:54:52 GMT
For the record, my initial post on this topic had a subject line of:

	[Collections, JXPath] advantages/disadvantages

My question was:

	[W]hat are the advantages/disadvantages of using Predicate/Closure's to filter Collections
of beans as opposed to using JXPath?

I'm not sure how much more specific I can be.  I don't have a specific filtering need that
I need solved.  If I have a list of beans, and I want to filter them for, let's say it's a
list of PersonBeans, hair color, where hairColor is an attribute of the PersonBean.  What
are the advantages/disadvantages of using JXPath as opposed to functors?

Is that more specific?  Does that help?

-Shawn

-----Original Message-----
From: robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk
[mailto:robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 10:48 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: RE: [Commons] Looking for more to reed

the simplest answer is that their nature are very different (JXPath does
XPath over java bean; the functors in collections are an expression of a
mathematical concept) though they can both be used to perform similar
functions (filtering a list).

but you probably knew that already.

for a better answer, i recommend that you clarify your question and to
prefix [jxpath] and [collections] to your subject.

- robert