commons-user mailing list archives

From Silas Snider <swsni...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [collections] Name that data structure
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2005 21:39:37 GMT
I'd say you were looking for an ordinary priority queue, where the
priority=the timestamp. Try the Heap class.

Sincerely,
Silas Snider

On 7/3/05, Wendy Smoak <java@wendysmoak.com> wrote:
> I'm looking through the Collections API, but not finding exactly what I
> want... hoping someone who's more familiar with it can point me in the right
> direction.
>
> What I'm trying to do is more or less what you see on catalog sites where
> they'll list the most recent items you've looked at, newest on top.  So it's
> ordered (List), but has no duplicates (Set), and I need to have a  max size.
>
> ListOrderedSet is almost there, except that it retains the 'old' position if
> you add the same item again.  (And has no max length.)
>
> So... before I either write it myself or extend ListOrderedSet to make it do
> what I want, does anyone have another suggestion?  And what would _you_ call
> it?
>
> Thanks,
> Wendy Smoak

Silas Snider is a proud member of the Association of Wikipedians Who
Dislike Making Broad Judgements About the Worthiness of a General Category
of Article, and Who Are In Favor of the Deletion of Some Particularly Bad
Articles, but That Doesn't Mean They are Deletionist
(AWWDMBJAWGCAWAIFDSPBATDMTD) , and the Harmonious
Editing Club of Wikipedia.