commons-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [Commons, Collections, JXPath] Looking for more to read, pros/cons of filtering methods
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:46:14 GMT
Bernard, Shawn wrote:
> For the record, my initial post on this topic had a subject line of:
>
> 	[Collections, JXPath] advantages/disadvantages
>
> My question was:
>
> 	[W]hat are the advantages/disadvantages of using
 > Predicate/Closure's to filter Collections of beans as
 > opposed to using JXPath?

JXPath (or EL/JEXL) is simply a way of getting a piece of data from a
complex structure (XML or Bean).

Functors can be used for this purpose too (and might perform slightly
faster as the code is real, not interpretted from a parsed string).

However, functors are really intended for deeper problems, specifically
actually performing processing. See
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/12/22/jakarta-gems-1.html?page=last
for a good example.

Stephen