commons-user mailing list archives

From Ricardo Gladwell <ricardo.gladw...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: [betwixt] Making deserialise work like serialise (long)
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:26:17 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 17:46 +0100, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:
> it's a bit complicated by the fact that it's a release candidate (not a
> SNAPSHOT). release candidates should not be uploaded to ibiblio (or any
> other mirror). but thank's for the warning: i will remember to try to
> check that the maven repository is right when the full release is cut.

Please do update it for the final release: so few project maintainers do
properly update the Maven repository and that extra work is really
appreciated by us downstream Maven users :) Shouldn't the Maven
repository have the latest CVS code in it's snapshot release, though?

> FYI the release candidate is very close now to being accepted as betwixt
> 0.7. it is strongly recommended that all users upgrade to this new
> version.

I'm confused by the above: some of the artefacts in the maven repository
are listed as 1.0-dev and -beta, yet 0.7 will be the next release version?

>> In the end, I cheated and hard-coded XPath to read specific bank
>> accounts using the BeanReader.registerBeanClass method:
>
> it is possible to make betwixt work that way (you can integrate it with
> digester rules) but it's pretty black belt...

Not sure what else to do at this point (BTW, what does "black belt"
mean? I'm familiar but not sure). Even the above does not seem to be
working.

>> Some sort of
>> intelligent comparison between the betwixt file and the bean object
>> model would be required to interpolate expected behaviour. Perhaps some
>> sort of additional scripting would be required?
>
> scripting sounds very interesting (hadn't really thought about it
> before). betwixt is generally declarative but maven's mix of declarative
> data and scripting works very well. how do you see this working?

Actually, I was thinking an entirely different approach might be
required: instead of having a XML configuration file describing how to
convert a bean to XML (one way) it would be better to map individual
properties to XML constructs using xdoclet tags or annotation, as in
Hibernate. This ensures relationships are two way and more easily
reversible. For example:

/**
  * @betwixt.xml
  *    path="bankAccount/bankAccount-AT"
  */
public class AustrianBankAccount {...}

Would mean that an occurrences of AustrianBankAccount could be clearly
read and written as <bankAccount><bankAccount-AT>... for example without
any confusion over how it should be interpreted.

P.S. If you could please CC responses to my home address I would be most
grateful. I'm not actually subscribed to this mailing list.

Kind regards...

-- Ricardo