commons-user mailing list archives

From "William Evans" <william.ev...@ronin-capital.com>
Subject RE: JVM Crash calling Configuration on 64-Bit Server VM (1.5.0_04-b05) for solaris-amd64
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:17:00 GMT
Oliver,
The JVM crash happens before any message is printed out, probably during
class loading/compilation. However, it doesn't always happen - probably
50% of the time.

I could, I suppose iterate through all the classes in the Configuration
jars and load them manually until I hit the problem. What do you think?

Yesterday, I opened up a case with Sun Support (we have paid support),
so I am hoping that they'll pursue as well.

Incidentally, I have had similar problems running the 64bit JVM on
Fedora. I only posted here because I managed to recreate with very
simple code.

Thanks for your interest.
Regards
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Oliver Heger [mailto:hegero@med.uni-marburg.de]
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 10:51 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: JVM Crash calling Configuration on 64-Bit Server VM
(1.5.0_04-b05) for solaris-amd64

William Evans wrote:
> I have an application that uses Commons Configuration.
>
> It runs on an AMD64 SunFire (dual processor) box under Solaris 10.
>
> When I run with the JVM in 32 bit it runs fine but as soon as I try it
> in 64 bit mode it takes a JVM crash.
>

> I isolated the problem to calls into the Configuration package and
wrote
> a test class that does only the following:
>

>             try {
>
>                 Configuration config = new
> PropertiesConfiguration(args[0]);
>
>                 System.out.println("Properties:");
>
>                 for (Iterator iter = config.getKeys();
iter.hasNext();)
> {
>
>                     String key = (String) iter.next();
>
>                     System.out.println("\n" + key + " = " +
> config.getString(key));
>
>                 }
>
>             }
>
>             catch (Exception e) {
>
>                 System.out.println("Error reading file " + args[0] +
> "\n" + e.toString());
>
>             }
>

> Almost every time I run it crashes the JVM but only when running in 64
> bit mode.
>

> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> Bill

I haven't seen this before. What makes me wonder is that
PropertiesConfiguration by inheriting from BaseConfiguration is (at
least for the methods you use in your test) only a thin wrapper for a
map object (in fact it's a
org.apache.commons.collections.map.LinkedMap).

Any chance that you can find out the concrete line where the crash
happens (maybe by adding further trace statements and flushing the
output stream after each write)?

Oliver