commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] lon4j only implementation to solve out of memory errors
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:40:41 GMT
On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 20:19 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 08:09 -0700, Paul Austin wrote:
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > I am running my application on Tomcat 5.5 under Sun JDK 1.4.2_07-b05
> > on Windows XP. For the production environment it will be Oracle
> > Application Server 9.0.4.1 under JDK 1.4.2 on Solaris 2.8 (I haven't
> > had access to test on that server yet).
> >
> > The original discussion where I started to find out about the problem
> > was on the hibernate forums.
> >
> > http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=935948&highlight=permgen
>
> Hmm. I wish people would stop trying to push libraries that are
> component-specific up into the container's lib directories. Component
> libs belong in the component. SLAP. Component libs belong in the
> component SLAP. Repeat as necessary. Note that this doesn't apply to
> Tomcat's inclusion of JCL in the container - JCL is *part* of tomcat,
> and JCL explicitly calls LogFactory.release when unloading webapps so
> the problem doesn't occur there.

I guess Hibernate is a little bit of a special case here: it could be
regarded as part of the container, or an extension to it. But in that
case, if it introduces a dependency on commons-logging then it should be
responsible for ensuring commons-logging is managed correctly - and that
means ensuring LogFactory.release is called when a webapp is unloaded
like tomcat does.

I'll follow up with the Hibernate folks on this.

Regards,

Simon